Do you ever get in a random mood to bake when you have 49857345 other things to do instead? Considering this is a holiday week, my to-do list in exceptionally full, but all I wanted to do last night while watching The Bachelorette, was try my hand at some red velvet cupcakes.
I’ve heard a lot of great things about Tori Spelling’s website and found a (what turned out to be) delicious red velvet cupcake recipe. I’ve never made cupcakes from scratch and was surprised to see that the recipe called for white vinegar. I learned that white vinegar mixed with baking soda folded into the batter, lightens the cake making it more fluffy.
Verdict: melt in your mouth good. Try it! Recipe below:
INGREDIENTS FOR CUPCAKES:
- ½ cup of butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
INGREDIENTS FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease cupcake pan or line with paper liners
- Cream softened butter & sugar together until fluffy
- Add eggs and blend well
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa & food coloring & stir
- Sift flour and salt together into mixture
- Add vanilla, buttermilk, and water to mixture
- In another bowl combine vinegar and baking soda. Then fold into cupcake mixture.
- Pour or spoon mixture into cupcake cups
- Bake 15 to 20 mins or until a wood toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean
- Let cool for about 10 mins. Then put on rack or plate and let finish cooling.
- Blend together softened cream cheese and softened butter
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract
- Blend until smooth
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy!